Friday, July 17, 2009

my favorite silver fox's layered strawberry surprise

Being that I am the go-to baker in the family, more so, the appointed baker of my immediate relations, requests for baked goods for family celebrations and picnics are regularly penciled in my planner. However, they also are an exciting source that upping my creative cake-baking juices.

My grandmother, for her July birthday, requested a "white" cake. Now, this is coming from the lady who taught me how to craft the best red velvet cake in the world (no lie) and also, allowed me to sample the best of PA Dutch cooking for my so-far-lived life--a white cake just seemed too ordinary. But, you can't deny a simple request from a elder and, my simple spin on a white cake resulted in delectable layers of vanilla sponge smothered with cream cheese frosting and the season's best, syrupy strawberries.

And, not to brag, but I think she ate more than just one humorous sweet slice.

Silver Fox Strawberry Surprise
One Two-Layer Cake

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups sifted flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup veggie shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk (or soy)
2/3 cups unbeaten egg whites (about 4 eggs)
fresh strawberries (about 2 1/2 cups sliced)

Sift all dry ingredients together. Add 1/2 cup shortening, 2/3 cup milk and vanilla, and beat for two minutes. Add remaining 1/3 cup of milk and egg whites, and beat for another two minutes. Bake in two round layer pans, 8 inch x 1 1/2 inch, at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Cool cake completely before assembling.

Cream Cheese Frosting

4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 stick margarine (1/4 cup)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Mix above ingredients until creamy; do not melt the margarine. Once cake is at room temperature, spread generously on the top of each round. Add an overall-covering of strawberries on each layer of icing. Then, plop one layer on top of the other, and chill for about 15 minutes to set the frosting.