Thursday, April 22, 2010

classic apple dumplings of a country-styled bakery

 
Being raised in the midst of Pennsylvania Dutch Country into two full-bred families, I've had my fair share of legitimate traditional sweet treats. While I could blab about the pie that is quite possibly, the sweetest of the bunchthe circles of shoo fly I value the baked balls of apples the most.

Apple dumplings are a staple in the Strauss house and something I have come to perfectly attempt, time and time again. Honestly, I may not be a proclaimed professional just yet, but I can confess that my tastebuds have devoured toasty chomps from many experienced bakers, especially in the heartland of Lancaster County and also on its brims.

This evening after trekking through Emmaus, I spotted a petite bakeshop on its main street, one that easily peaked my sweet teeth. An Italian-styled bakery, I Love Louie's specializes in desserts similar to what grandmother would have sweetly prepared, as well as area-appropriate classics.

Of course, I couldn't step outside its sugary scented interior without picking up one of the prettiest apple dumplings. And, after indulging in its warmed cinnamon-sprinkled bites crusted in a buttery flake crust, I may love Louie, too.


I Love Louie's Bakery, 4033 Chestnut St., Emmaus, PA 610-965-2999