Sunday, May 8, 2011

chester county farmers' market season in bloom

Yesterday, May 7, marked the opening of two of Chester County's farmers' markets, the West Chester Growers Market and the Phoenixville Farmers' Market. Since I am slightly obsessed with attending all the farm markets I can in one day, I was sure to hit up both wonderful spots in this county!

As I previously mentioned here, B and I are fiends for a fine loaf of sourdough bread, and thanks to Big Sky Bread Company at the WC market, we almost gobbled a whole loaf of apricot, raisin and walnut wheat bread in an easy ten minutes. I adored seeing the wide assortment of Amish cheese across from the doughy stand, too, but saved my cheese purchases until I hit Phoenixville borough.
It is always a pleasure to see Sue Miller, cheesemaker of Birchrun Hills Farm. Being that it was opening day of the market, Miller was slinging a brand-new, incredibly-creamy (and a must-try) raw milk cheese, Little Chardy, as well as my favorite, the Truly Blue, a 60-day aged collaboration cheese made as a farewell for Amazing Acres Goat Dairy with half-raw milk and half-goat milk.
Did you attend either market? What were your favorite vendors amongst the bunch? I was also floored to nibble on Miller's spicy grass-fed beef sticks, and additionally, pleased to see  first year vendor, Mompops, in the Phoenixville roundup.