Thursday, December 24, 2009

raspberry shortbread dreamies

Call me old-fashioned, but I always wanted to attend a cookie swap.

Spending an evening focused solely around cookie-talk sounds like a night I would want to relive again and again for the rest of my life. So, when my mom invited me to attend the cookie exchange she was taking part with her women's group, there was no denying I would be there baring sweet treat gifts.

Although a bit overwhelmed with selecting a recipe to represent myself in a sea of women skilled in handheld sugar treasures, I opted to whip up a batch of jam-filled shortbread cookies. The recipe came from a previous cookie swap my mom attended, and with some adaption for yours truly, and a new name, I birthed Raspberry Shortbread Dreamies.


Raspberry Shortbread Dreamies


makes about 3 dozen

Cookie:
1 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups flour
1/3-1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam

Combine butter and sugar, until fluffy. Beat in extract and gradually add flour until dough forms into a ball. Cover and refrigerate for an 1 hour, or until dough is manageable. Roll in 1-inch balls. Place 1-inch apart from one another on an ungreased baking sheet. Using end of wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center. Fill with jam. Bake at 350 degrees for 14-18 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and place on wire rack.

Combine below glaze ingredients and drizzle over cookies.

Glaze:
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 oz. cream cheese
2-3 teaspoons water
1/2 teaspoon almond extract